MEMBERSHIP & FACILITY YOUTH GUIDELINES
Ages 11 & under MUST be under the direct supervision of a parent or guardian at all times.
Ages 12-15 may be in the facility for up to 4 hours per day without a parent or guardian.
Ages 12 years & up MUST have a key card to enter the facility.
Closed-toed shoes must be worn in the fitness center at all times.
For your safety and the security of your belongings, please store all bags in a locked locker.
Thank you for refraining from using profane, abusive, and offensive language.
Please wipe off equipment after each use. Paper towels and disinfectant are available for your use.
Please re rack your weights after use and allow others to work in on strength machines.
Food is not permitted in the wellness center, gymnasium, or group exercise studios.
YOUTH FITNESS GUIDELINES
Members 9-12 with a parent can use cardio, track, strength training machines, free weights and group exercise classes but parents must be working out with the child.
Members 13 and up can be in the fitness center without a parent and can use cardio, track, strength training, free weights and group exercise. Members must be 16 to do BodyPump group class.
YOUTH AQUATICS GUIDELINES
- Children who are non-swimmers must be accompanied in the water by an adult parent or guardian and must stay within arm’s reach.
- Non-Swimmers are limited to designated areas. Areas vary by pool; please see Aquatics Staff for clarification.
- One adult can be responsible for no more than 2 non-swimmers at a time.
- Children aged 12-15 must pass the Green Level Swim Assessment to use the Aquatics Area without a parent or guardian.
- Non-swimmers aged 12-15 may only use the Aquatics Area with a parent or guardian.
- Proper Swimwear is required.
- Swim Diapers are required for non-toilet-trained children.
- Please check the Aquatics schedules for pool-specific details.
- Reservations are required to bring children swimming.
- Warlick Family Swim Reservations are easily made through our website.
- Schedules are easily accessed through our website.
- Open swim is not allowed during YMCA programs such as exercise classes and swim lessons.
- Lifeguards have the final say in matters regarding patron safety.
- No food or drink (except water) allowed in the aquatics area.
Swim Assessment Bands
The Gaston County Family YMCA is committed to providing a safe and enjoyable pool experience for all. Children aged 15 and under must participate in a swimming skills assessment and will be given a green or yellow swim band upon passing. These bands assist our lifeguards in keeping our less experienced swimmers safe. No swim band is issued to swimmers who do not pass the swimming assessment.
- Once a swimmer is issued a swim band, it is their responsibility to bring it back with them each visit.
- If a band is misplaced or forgotten, replacement bands are available at the Member Services Desk for $2.00
- When swimmers move from a yellow to a green band, they may trade in their band at no cost.
- Lending or trading swim bands is against our YMCA Code of Conduct.
- Lifeguards will gladly conduct one swim assessment per child per day.
YELLOW BAND REQUIREMENTS
- Float: Swimmer demonstrates a horizontal floating position on their back for 8-10 seconds, then stand up, regaining a vertical position on their own.
- Swim: Swimmer demonstrates 15ft. using a Freestyle stroke without assistance or stopping to rest.
- Read: Swimmers must tread water for one minute while keeping their ears and face above water.
GREEN BANDS REQUIREMENTS
- Float: Swimmer demonstrates a horizontal floating position on their front for 10-15 seconds.
- Swim: Swimmer continues to swim the entire length of the pool, 25 yards, unassisted and without resting. Swimmers must maintain a horizontal body position and swim in a strong manner.
- Plunge: Swimmer jumps into water that is over their head, easily returns to the surface, and treads water for 1 minute